Bicycles Against Poverty (BAP) is seeking a Finance Manager to work on the company’s finances, including its books, lease portfolio, and financial systems.
We’re looking for someone who loves data, numbers, systems, and early stage ventures.
Bicycles Against Poverty (BAP) is a social enterprise that distributes lease-to-own bicycles in rural Uganda. Bicycles in East Africa connect farmers to markets and other basic life needs, including clean water, schools, and healthcare. Such access leads to a 35% increase in income.
We’re currently broadening our focus to other asset-financing products for rural African communities. We believe strongly in the potential of rural communities and are committed to delivering the products they need in a form that’s affordable to them.
To date we’ve disbursed close to 2,000 bicycle loans. In the coming year we’ll be piloting other asset-financing products to introduce to our customers.
Location: Gulu, Uganda
Reports to: CEO
About the position:
BAP is excited to be part of East Africa’s rapidly growing innovation space—we see vast potential in the region and want a team member who has the same vision. We’re looking for a finance and business savvy individual to add strength to our management team.
This position is well-suited for anyone who has a previous track-record in loan management and thrives when building structure.
Roles and responsibilities:
The Finance Manager is largely focused on accounting, risk management, and operations / systems.
· Maintain books for the company
· Work with outside consultants to get BAP audit ready within six months, including analyzing systems
· Manage accounting, treasury, tax and HR.
· Compile financial information in to financial statements and report these statements to management
· Understand the risks to which the business is subject, and work with credit team to mitigate these risks, including a low portfolio at risk (PAR).
· Monitor cash balances and arrange to meet future cash requirements
Requirements & Qualifications:
Bicycles Against Poverty (BAP) is a young, growing company. As a result, we are looking for a flexible, dynamic, and hard-working individual who embraces changing environments.
Qualifications needed to work at BAP:
· Fast-paced and ability to multi-task
· Flexible and able to work on diverse teams
· Strong interest in using business solutions to solve pressing social issues
· Willing and eager to work non-traditional business hours to ensure tasks are completed
Qualifications for role:
· 5+ years of demonstrated financial experience, including loan management
o Preference given to those with experience at an MFI and/or lease management
· Strong grasp of accounting theory and practice
· Proactive and demonstrated leadership experience
· Strong communicator
· Passionate about instituting a data-driven culture
· Strong technical and computer skills, including with at least one financial management software
Compensation: Competitive salary. Benefits include health insurance, worker’s comp insurance, and professional development stipends.